12/11/10

Gather Round Me Children


Gather round me children
Find a place where you can sit
Get your blankey and pillow
And come back lickety split.

Yes, gather round me children
I have a tale I want to spin
A wonderful story to be sure
Settle down and I will begin

The children all sat down
On the rug by the fire place
Waiting for me to start my story
Smiles on each and every face.



Long ago on an icy dark night
A prophesy that was foretold
Was fulfilled under a bright white star
That man had waited for from days of old.

A man and wife upon a trip
Required to journey to Bethlehem town
Orders to be counted in the census
Requiring Joseph and Mary to travel down.

But Mary, sweet young Mary
Was ready to birth her first wee child
Not easy to ride a donkey so far
But still Mary and Joseph smiled.
They knew that this baby
Who would soon be given birth
Was a gift from heaven on high
God’s own son was coming to earth.

The angels sang in the heavens
Shepherds came in from their field
Wise men followed a star to visit the babe
Through whom all the world would be healed.

And soon my dear children
We’ll all celebrate and recollect
The beautiful birthday of Jesus himself
Who was much more than earth could expect.

Still warmed by the hearth fire
One little one said what she thought,
“Even then Baby Jesus loved us so much
This is what he taught.”

I answered her that she was right
And told there’s one more thing,
“When you hear how He favored children
Your hearts will really sing.”

 



Because Jesus did love children
A fact none could ever deny
He praised their purity saying
All should become as small fry.

Jesus told the grownups there
“Let the children come to Me.
They are the sweet and innocent ones
Of this world, you see.”




So children sat up on His lap
And bounced upon His knee
They loved to spend time with Him
Knew He came to set them free.

So this is what we celebrate
At this holiday time of year
The Baby born in a barn long ago
Little Baby Jesus so dear.



         

©Corinne Mustafa
   Christmas, 2010

1 comment:

Women's Focus Ministries said...

Hi I thought I would share a comment from my friend, Linda who sent this to me in an email...thanks Linda

Hi Corinne, I just read your Christmas poem, and it is so good. I had to respond and let you know that I really loved it. You are sounding like a professional. Love, Linda G