5/7/13

Two Seconds


We all believe in the eternity that we will enter when our life is finished and we go home. We think about the unspeakable joys that we will receive when we are finally with God in heaven. We rejoice in knowing that we have salvation if we believe in Jesus Christ.  The Bible promises that if we go to the Father through Christ he will accept us.
That is all good.

However when someone we love dies it is harder to be happy about his death. Even though we know where the person is we still cry and grieve. We cry for ourselves and the open empty space in our world that occurs when a loved one dies. Our world changes when that happens. For a mother who thought her children would live beyond her lifetime, the loss of a child puts an indelible pall of sadness over her life that continues long after she has come back to living her life and has worked out a way to go on in spite of her loss.

My friend, Luana, sent me this poem she had written. It is very poignant...but beautiful.

Two Seconds
Sleep, sleep
If only to sleep
Awake me slowly, Lord
Anticipating the first two seconds
Two seconds of consciousness
The first two seconds of my day
The only relief
My time of normalcy
The two seconds it takes me
The time it takes me to remember
I now remember
I remember that Kevin is dead
I look forward to tomorrow morning's two seconds

Written by
Luana Layton


I was very touched by her poem and I wrote to Luana 
to ask about Kevin and if I could publish her poem in Women's Focus Ministries. 
Here is what she wrote...

"Kevin died in January, 1991 in a traffic accident on Pacheco Pass.
He was living with us at the time. Kevin was 23 years old.

You may publish it.
It always helps when you know  that someone else
went through a trauma and had a strange experience because of it."   

-----Luana


Shared by
Corinne Mustafa

   

3 comments:

Women's Focus Ministries said...

I have never lost a child, but I can only imagine how this experience would affect a mother. In an earthly sense, it is a tragedy that such a young life, filled with potential, is lost. In the spiritual, you have the blessing of knowing that Kevin is with his Father. Still your loss remains in your heart. I hope others who have lost a child will be blessed by your words which speak to their mother's heart.

God bless

cheap jerseys said...

I think this is a very good article.. Also I am very interested in topic.

Anonymous said...

Good blog you've got here.. It's hard to find quality writing like yours these days.
I honestly appreciate people like you! Take care!!

My webpage breth