8/7/14

The Parable of the Sower


Then he told them many things in parables, saying: "A farmer went out to sow his seed. As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants. Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. He who has ears let him hear."
Matthew 13:3-9

This may seem like a 5th grade back to school writing assignment on “How I Spent My Summer Vacation.” Bear with me, and you might find out that this one is a tad different. I visited the quad cities area of western Illinois. We thought that the only draw in this area was our good friend, Snow. Storm and I would have been happy with just that, but there was even more.
One of the quad cities is Moline, Illinois. To my delight Moline is the home base of John Deere Tractors. Now, don’t laugh…I have had a thing for John Deere ever since that famous song about thirteen years ago. I am sure you all remember it… “John Deere Green.” You know the one. It is about that sweet love affair between Billy Bob and Charlene….the one where Billy Bob paints his love onto the town water tower in John Deere green. The words go like this, “And everyone said it should have been red, but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere green.” Love is hardly that deep and sweet these days.



So when Snow told us that we would visit the little JD Museum that day I was ready to go. Did I have a surprise in store! We walked into the high ceiling room, and I had to look up. I mean UP here. The tractors of today have come a long way, baby. I am talking huge. Picture a tyrannosaurus rex. I am not exaggerating…not in the least. They are humongous. In fact, I had a picture taken of me next to the “rex” wheel, and that wheel was at least three feet taller than I am. I am talking a monster. Standing there beside that so called tractor I began to feel like every four year old must feel in a world filled with adult sized chairs, tables, and cars. In my new status as a little person of four I was excited to see a steering wheel on a display with a video screen to show the driver how he was plowing his field. Did you know that all of these rex tractors are equipped with computer screens and satellite tracking that shows how the farmer is plowing his field? The driver is perched about twenty five feet above the furrows he is trying to plough. The computer allows the farmer to keep his rows straight and equally distant one from the other. I tried to drive straight lines with the help of the computer, but all I could do was to weave back and forth on my make believe field. I was pitiful. With the newest technology available to man (or woman) I could not even plow a straight line. If I couldn’t do that, how could I take command of the machine that sows the seed in the rows and place the seeds properly so that the crops of the next season would grow strong and tall, plump and juicy?



At the time I was not thinking of the Parable of the Sower. I was busy having a touristy wonderful time. A few weeks after I got home Pastor Larry’s message was on that parable which can be found in Matthew 13:3-9. Following that message I started thinking about my experience “driving” the huge John Deere tractor.

Considering the technology and my mismanagement of it I found myself considering some questions. What kind of soil would those imaginary seeds be sowed in? Would they grow? Would they flourish for a time and then start to languish? The seeds would be good. The sower would be well intentioned. The soil would be prepared. With all that technology how could it fail? UM….I am sure you remember the previously described furrows resembling demented “crop circles,” that I made when I tried to drive my green tyrannosaurus…in spite of the satellite guidance. However, the sower is not me…He is God.


There should be no reason for seed to fall along the path and be eaten by birds. The rocks had been dealt with so the kernels should not be impeded by the obstacles rocks present during attempted germination. Weeds would have been eliminated so that they could not choke out the growing seedlings. However, the fact is that even with today’s advanced agricultural technology crops fail from time to time. There are locusts, starving birds, weeds, and uncooperative clouds refusing to provide the necessary drinks the seeds need which result in a less than perfect crop…all pitfalls of sowing seeds in any age.



This parable was Jesus’ way of showing how hard it is to get the Word to grow in the hearts of men. The seed represents God’s truth. We claim to know His Word is perfect and true…hence the word truth. Still, many times we do not treat it is such. The sower is God Himself who possesses the ultimate and perfect technology to plant the garden of His word in us. Picture this. Along comes God in his blue bib overalls. He climbs up onto His John Deere. He turns His key and boots up the computer. Immediately the screen shows Him his route across the fields of His world. He sets out plowing perfect rows; He activates the motor which will disperse the seeds into the rows.



What can go wrong? Could there be an X factor that has the power to affect the results of the whole operation. God’s word is perfect. His technique is perfect. Still God’s planting sometimes fails, just as the farmer planting sometimes fails due to conditions beyond his control. “Beyond his control” you ask? Nothing is beyond God’s control. There you have it….the dreaded X factor. Nothing IS beyond His control. However, God has relinquished His control in one very important area...the area of our free will, which He will never interfere with. He does not want puppets or Stepford wives in heaven. He wants people who have chosen Him.



God is operating with a spiritual “John Deere tractor” with a divine computer that should result in success every time He sows. In the parable we are the soil, and we have to be ready. Why do some people accept what they are given and run with it while others are given it and loose it along the way? Consider Billy Bob…you know, that rural knight in shining armor and his lady faire, the lovely Charlene. He climbed that water tower to sow his seeds of love for Charlene. The words of the song state that many had something to say about Billy Bob’s word. For them the seeds fell on rocky soil and were rejected without them even considering the truth behind the word presented. Charlene, however, was soil that was prepared to receive the truth in whatever form it took...even deviations from the expected color of the Words. Again consider the song… “And everyone said it should have been red, but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green.”



And here, in simple symbolism, you have a straightforward and uncomplicated explanation of the Parable of the Sower.

Corinne H. Mustafa

No comments: