11/1/10

Growing Up and Growing Older

Some people
No matter
   how old they get
Never loose
   their beauty...
They Just move
   it from their
        FACES
            into their
                HEARTS.
                            
                        Martin Buxbaum
                          1912-1991




Martin David Buxbaum was best known for being
the editor of Marriott's monthly publication "Table Talk."
After retiring from Mariott he wrote 11 books
and was a well known photographer, artist and humorist.



Growing Up and Growing Older

Don’t look at me and be filled with pity
Wondering how I got to be such an old biddy
With wrinkles, spots and all that old age stuff
Hands that are bumpy, knarled and so rough
I once was young and considered quite pretty
I laughed and joked and was thought of as quite witty

I had such energy you would hardly believe it
Seeing me here in my rocker where I sit
But mind you, Child, this lesson you should keep…
Beauty living in the heart is more than just skin deep.



        I have earned my wrinkles and this thin white hair
        Using a cane whenever I go anywhere
       Take heed I am just ahead of you on the road
       You too will end up carrying a big load
       I loved to shop, meet and greet and to dance
      Would do these things whenever I got the chance
      You will not believe how fast the time will go
      Enjoy your youth; learn what you need to know
      But mind you, Young Woman, this lesson you should keep…
      Beauty living in the heart is more than just skin deep.

     
          Seems like yesterday I was a child and then a young woman
          I played in the fields, had friends, skipped off to school
          I wed my love, bore my children, hard work was my rule
         Remember you are always the same age inside,
         Is the lesson you must keep…and
         Beauty living in the heart is more than just skin deep.



Corinne H. Mustafa
10/8/09



2 comments:

TJ said...

so much wisdom and simple beauty in these words... if only our young selves could have known how fast the years would move , and if only our old selves could hold these words for those days when the mirror seems like our worst enemies.......

Patty Upper said...

WOW, how so true. so much for that bad hair day.