9/12/10

Is Fear and Hatred What God Asks of His Christian People

I may be posting an unpopular write here, but I have watched people whose fear for our country lead to unheard of hatred. I have Muslin family here and in Bangladesh who are God loving and God fearing in the way they know God.  I am not here to discuss the things that seem untrue in my paradigm.  I am just hoping that people can lighten up in the fear and hatred department. For the most part the people who are then most hurt by this backlash are not the ones who are actually the enemy.  The enemy is a relatively small but dangerous group of radicals. In the end...in this matter...the ultimate enemy is Satan.  Following is an article that appeared in the Contra Costa Times Newspaper in the Real Life Column that appeared yesterday. One on one we will find that most Muslim people are who they say they are...people of peace.

Corinne Mustafa

Real Life: Inspired by the Muslims I have have met
By Ria Tanz Kubota
Contra Costa Times Contributor

Posted: 09/11/2010 12:00:00 AM PDT

Growing up in South St. Louis where anyone who wasn't German Catholic was British Protestant, I longed to meet other people from other cultures.
 
Rudolph Valentino was my Hollywood ideal. He was handsome, romantic and swept women off their feet with his galloping white stallion, his tent filled with luxurious rugs in such contrast to the swirling sand around him, but even then I vaguely knew it was odd to have a man who appeared Latin play an Arab character.

After I grew up, I was fortunate enough to move to California, home to immigrants from all over the world. As a registered nurse and licensed therapist I was hired by a large HMO, where I also worked as a volunteer on the company newsletter.

Between that experience and traveling, I always have found it a pleasure to talk to people from other cultures. Using my therapeutic skills, I listened closely, asked questions and learned. When so many became so upset with Muslim people, I was surprised because of the Muslims I have met.

For example, I remember interviewing an immigrant from India I'd assumed was a Hindu, whose eyes shined with delight as he spoke about the week in which "we all give to the poor -- anything we can!" His remarkable thinness made his joy at sacrifice even more of a surprise to me than the fact he was a Muslim.

Then there was the doctor who had a reputation for his caring and tireless service to our patients. "Fear of what my maker will see when I die about what I've done for my fellow man keeps me honest." He described how his being Muslim affects every moment of his life and gleefully laughed at himself "for being a coward -- not a saint."

I remember hearing a doctor from Sudan, who always wore a long dress and scarf, talk about holding her baby while he died and expressing gratitude that she could ease his suffering. Patient and kind, she chose to hope rather than grieve. As a woman both "Native" and "Arab" back home, she felt she had been able to ease tensions between the cultures in her native country, and hoped to accomplish the same here in the Bay Area.

A Yemeni couple, who were obviously very much in love and raising two children, destroyed several stereotypes. Her jeans and sweatshirt -- no scarf -- surprised me, but not as much as his frequent deference to his wife. When I mentioned this, she laughed. "Women are the center of the home! What could be more important? Yemen is pretty feminist." He beamed proudly at her. They did conflict resolution easily.

A Palestinian restaurant owner talked about Israelis and Palestinians (who are predominantly Muslim) and said, "We're alike! We look alike, we celebrate alike, we eat alike. Why would I fight my own cousin?" He described how violence grows. Despite missing Israel, he enjoyed living in peace and loved finding similarities in African-American culture here.
 
The Iranian convenience store owner told me of his hopes to help neighborhood kids grow up well. He set limits for his own sons and he would call the parents or caretakers of kids who tried to shoplift from his store. He had them clean his parking lot to make public restitution and to teach them that actions have consequences. He chatted with neighborhood men and women to create community.
 
Another memorable conversation was with the nurse from Iran who worked with closely with a group of women who had lost their first country and witnessed -- if not experienced -- unbelievable atrocities. She helped them build their self-esteem by encouraging them to remember Rumi, the poet, and other Persian contributions to history instead.
 
When I was young, I knew I wanted to know more about the world. But I never imagine my move here would make my life so rich. I'm grateful to the Bay Area and my work which has allowed me to meet so many cultures, so many spiritual beliefs, and to be inspired by these Muslims.
 
Ria Tanz Kubota lives in El Sobrante.

This my daughter Aleishain Bangladesh
with many of my family there. They are good people who do not condone terrorism and are a representative of the people who are in our country who just want what all Americans want.
(Aleisha is in the center with the teal scarf and the big smile.)


REAL LIFE

Reader-written "Real Life" submissions should be between 450 to 700 words and can be sent to lwrenn@bayareanewsgroup.com. Please include the words "Real Life" in the subject line and your name, city and a phone number.





1 comment:

G. HUBBARD said...

lord is there for all 24/7/365 to talk with you and answer your key life questions, he asks you to ask the first question. our frree SPREAD THE WORD TALK WITH THE LORD program inspiresw daily talks. our song lyrics are being sung free lyrics/info write g. hubbard p.o. box 2232 ponte vedra fl 32004 blog http://talkwiththelord.b logspot.com/