10/17/10

This 'n That 10/11-10/17

Quotes from Wise Women

Because of the age-long training in human relations...for that is what feminine intuition really is...women have a special contribution to make to any group enterprise
Margaret Mead

I like to help women help themselves, as that is, in my opinion, the best way to settle the woman question. Whatever we can do and do well we have a right to, and I don't thing anyone will deny us.

Louisa May Alcott

In all the ranks of life the human heart yearns for the beautiful; and beautiful things that God makes are His gifts to all alike.

Harriet Beecher Stowe
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RECIPE

Try this yummy recipe from Rachel Ray...I loved it

ITALIAN GRILLED CHEESE
Ingredients
  • 1 cup giardiniera (Italian hot vegetable salad), drained
  • 1/4 cup salad olives (green olives with pimiento)
  • 8 slices good quality crusty white bread, 1/2-inch thick slices
  • 8 slices deli cut provolone cheese 
  •  4 tablespoons softened butter
Directions


  1. Heat griddle to medium.
  2. In a food processor pulse chop the salad and olives into a fine relish.
  3. Spread 4 slices of bread with giardiniera, top each with 2 slices cheese and 4 more slices of bread.
  4. Butter the outside of the sammies with softened butter and grill until golden on both sides, 4 to 5 minutes total.
  5. Cut and serve.
You can also use Bruschetta instead of the giardiniera. I am not crazy about olives so I used chopped onions instead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Jokes

God’s Omnipotence 

A Sunday school teacher was asking her students some questions after a series of lessons on God's omnipotence. She asked, "Is there anything God can't do?


All was silent. Finally, one boy held up his hand.


The teacher, on seeing this, was disappointed that they had missed the point of the lesson. She sighed and asked, "Well, what is it you think God can't do?"


The boy replied, "He can't please everybody."


Author Unknown
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Last Request


An elderly woman died last month. Having never married, she requested no male pallbearers. In her handwritten instructions for her memorial service, she wrote, 'They wouldn't take me out while I was alive, I don't want them to take me out when I'm dead.'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



In a Second


A poor man walking in the forest feels close enough to God to ask, "God, what is a million years to you?" God replies, "My son, a million years to you is like a second to me." The man asks, "God, what is a million dollars to you?" God replies, "My son, a million dollars to you is less than a penny to me. It means almost nothing to me." The man asks, "So God, can I have a million dollars?" And God replies, "In a second."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BOOK REVIEW


I read this book a few years ago. I found it brought new understandings of the main way Satan uses as a weapon to get under our skin and steal our joy. It is getting late and so I felt like, "Hey, why reinvent the wheel?" So I went online to find a review of this book that spoke the things I would have wanted to day anyway. Here it is, and I don't think I could have written it better...hahaha. I highly recommend this book.
"The Bait of Satan" by John Bevere


When I read this book I thought, "If only I had read this book ten years ago! How much deception could I have possibly avoided? How many pity parties would have been left unattended!" Explanatory and convicting, the experience of reading it was truly bittersweet. It actually felt very autobiographical. Surely churches could institute required reading lists.


Inherent in the definition of deception is that you do not know it is being done to you. Satan is commonly known as the “master of deception”, and less commonly recognized for his mastery in his use of skandalon. What a painful reality this is.

Blindness and self-centeredness result from taking up an offense. As we focus on the faults of others to the exclusion of self-evaluation, much fruit results, but not fruits of righteousness. The enemy means it for separation, hurt, anger, strife, jealousy etc., yet the Lord desires us to see our true condition. God allows the fire of hurtful, difficult experiences to burn off our dross and purify our gold.


After an offense many of us become inward and guarded, unconditional love becomes impossible because we will not risk being hurt. Our love grows cold. The walls we erect for our protection from further hurt become our prison instead. Doubt and unbelief begin to prevail. Doubts about God’s goodness arise as we filter everything through hurts of the past and experiences of rejection. Believing God becomes harder and harder. We become unable to function in our calling, incapable of reaching our full potential because of wounds and offenses.


When we see flaws in leaders we judge and criticize, then we run away from the difficulty. Our enemy has garnered another success in uprooting us from the place of God’s planting. Eventually we become isolated, escaping the test. Conflict is temporarily avoided, relationships are severed instead of reconciled, character development is derailed and the cycle begins all over again.


What a comfort to know it was God who put David under Saul and Samuel under Eli. God allows our sifting for our good. The test – shall we become like our offenders? Shall we assume God’s prerogative in judging and correcting our offender? What a comfort that “we are not ignorant of Satan’s devices.”


Oh Lord, may we learn obedience through our hardships and acknowledging our pain. Grant me humility and selflessness that pursues peace with all men. Help me, God, to fulfill my ministry of reconciliation before You. As you have forgiven me, may I forgive also and allow you the place of Judge, Defender and Avenger. Please heal my heart and fill it with a fervent love for others. Enable me, Father, to walk in mature love that loves beyond perceived perfection in another. May I love with the same intensity after their sin and frailties have come to light. For this is how You love me.
Anonymous Student: Training for Restoration Prayer Ministry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shared by Corinne Mustafa
__________________________________________________________________________

No comments: